Monday, February 3, 2014

Old Glory Pallet Board Sign

I can't help it.  I always get a head of myself when it comes to holidays.  It's only 151 Days until July 4th but what can I say?  I'm already thinking Red, White, and Blue.  I actually made these rustic red signs for some Christmas boutique that I never actually finished in time so I decided since Christmas is even farther away than Independence Day I'd go that direction.  Here is what I came up with and I'm pretty excited with how it turned out.  To be honest I "stole" these old fence pieces from my neighbors garbage can.  I'm shameless I know.  I did, in my defense, try and ask her but she was at work and the garbage truck was already driving down the other street.  It was a crisis I tell ya.  I actually had to call my husband to rush home during his lunch hour to help me because I was/am pregnant and not quite able to haul a garbage can full of old fence pieces myself.  After all the hassle I'm very very glad I was able to save these babies.  Hope you like what I came up with. 




 I'm not going to deceive you, taping this off and measuring it was the BIGGEST pain of the entire project.  Other than taping this was a cinch.
 I like to just pour my pain right on my surface.  I hate wasting paint and this usually works fairly well.

 I couldn't figure out how to not let this happen but it was easy to fix.  Just let it dry a few mins and re-tape.  See below.


 Here it is all bright and white and I certainly could have left it that way.  But since the red was already rustic I decided to go that route. 

 I got a package of pre-cut stars at JoAnn's.  I think they were $2.49
I just dipped the end of my rag in this stain and lightly brushed over the entire board and each star. 
 To add the stars I simply hot glued them to the board.  They are very light and thin and it seems very sturdy.  If you end up doing a similar project please share the link in the comments.  


No comments:

Post a Comment